Saturday, June 27, 2009

Internet Incapacitated

I remember my first experience with the internet. I think I was in Fourth Grade, at a very small school named Edison Elementary. It didn't mean much to me then, if anything. I didn't understand what it was, why it existed, and I especially didn't see it reaching this kind of milestone back in that day.

With the emergence of Facebook, Twitter, and other sites in that related category, movements and protests and causes have become as simple as clicking a mouse button, if not easier. People can spread their message, gain supporters, submit and receive donations, and receive national media attention, all while looking up their high school girlfriend.

What amazes me most is the fact that a mere website that even my Grandparents use, can help to change the course of history for an entire nation. Iran may never be the same after seeing protest after protest after protest, with support spreading worldwide via social networking sites, including messages and groups and profile photos all depicting a nations' cry for change. With the existence of these sites, their cry can be answered with a unified shout from the world over. Facebook is the world's largest town hall meeting.

No comments: